ISO 14001 Certification, Assessment
Jack Sekhon and Associates prepares your organization for ISO 14001:2015 EMS certification project, provides ISO 14001:2015 EMS On-demand consulting, ISO 14001:2015 EMS on-demand audit management and ISO 14001:2015 Fractional contract consulting.
How does ISO 14001:2015 Certification work for organizations?
The purpose of ISO 14001 Standard is to provide organizations with a framework to protect the environment by preventing pollution and respond to changing environmental conditions in balance with socio-economic needs (sustainable development). Organizations get certified to ISO 14001:2015 Standard to demonstrate that they can enhance their environmental performance and fulfill compliance obligations related to activities, services and products. After being certified to ISO 14001:2015, an organization assures its stakeholders that it has an EMS in place and is held accountable for conforming with ISO 14001:2015 EMS by respective Registrars.
During certification process, external Registrar ensures that the organization`s policies, procedures and supporting documentation conforms to requirements of ISO 14001:2015 Standard requirements. Certification to ISO 14001:2015 Standard requirements leads to disciplined and structured approach in preventing pollution and reducing adverse environmental impacts as well as fulfilling compliance obligations.
ISO 14001 certification formally jumpstarts your environmental thinking by identifying the adverse environmental impacts related to your products/services. It paves the way for proactive, preventive, responsible and due-diligent environmental management.
An effective and efficient ISO 14001:2015 EMS leads to due-diligence, prevention of pollution, stakeholder perception enhancement, reduction in liability exposure, environmental performance enhancement, process improvement and overall organizational performance excellence.
How to become ISO 14001:2015 Certified as an Organization by Jack Sekhon & Associates
Jack Sekhon and Associates assists organizations in getting ISO 14001:2015 certification from concept through ISO 14001:2015 certificate in a practical, sequential and easily understood language. This assistance could be face to face or virtual online. Here are some of the key steps required for ISO 14001:2015 certification:
- Gap analysis of existing quality practices vs ISO 14001:2015 Standard requirements.
- Understanding of process approach, risk-based thinking and compliance obligations
- Identification environmental aspects and prioritization as significant environmental aspects and extent of documented information to be generated.
- Developing documented information -EMS on paper.
- Implementing EMS-Rolling it out.
- Performance evaluation of EMS.
- Stage 1 audit.
- Stage 2 audit.
- Continual improvement.
How can you proceed with it?
It is as easy as picking up the phone or send an email to open up the dialogue for your ISO 14001:2015 certification project with Jack Sekhon and Associates. Jack Sekhon P.Eng will personally receive/return your call in a timely manner and lay the framework for your ISO 14001:2015 certification project. Jack Sekhon and Associates has 36 step implementation plan for your ISO 14001:2015 certification project. Here are highlights of that 36 point implementation plan for ISO 14001:2015 certification project:
- Establish EMS Steering Committee and Senior Management Team and cause awareness of applicable sections of EMS.
- Establish Process Teams and cause awareness of process approach and risk-based thinking.
- Identify environmental aspects and prioritize significant environmental aspects
- Determine extent of documented information required by ISO 14001:2015 Standard and aligned with strategic planning.
- Develop documented information, train employees on EMS and roll it out.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of EMS through internal audit, KPIs and management review.
- Registrar conducts Stage 1 Audit.
- Registrar conducts Stage 2 Audit.
Why choose JSA for ISO 14001:2015 Certification project?
Jack Sekhon P. Eng is an educator/trainer, assessor/auditor, and business improvement/management system consultant, project/supplier/contractor management specialist and compliance evaluation professional focused on helping all size businesses expand their market share, boost profit margins, reduce preventable environmental, food safety and OHS incidents, reduce WCB premiums, reduce business interruptions in an emergency, and foster overall sustainable development through proven business improvement models and concepts/tools.
Jack Sekhon is a Registered Professional Engineer P. Eng in the Province of B.C. In addition, Jack is a Fellow of Engineers Canada FEC. Furthermore, he holds an interprovincial First-Class Power Engineers certificate. His qualifications also include passing a National Board of Boiler Inspectors examination. Jack is a certified Exemplar Global QMS/EMS/OHSMS Lead Auditor. Jack is extremely knowledgeable in Federal & British Columbia/Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba/Ontario environmental and occupational health and safety statues and regulations. He is certified HACCP professional.
- Comprehensive understanding of ISO 14001:2015 Standard requirements through 25 years as a Trainer.
- Trainer with Professional Engineer`s (chemical) background and diversified 25 years plus practical experience.
- Unmatched and unparalleled application of process approach and risk-based thinking.
- Quality documented information.
- Effective EMS performance evaluation skills.
- Superb honesty, transparency, integrity and value-added.
What Benefits Will ISO 14001 Environmental Management System Bring To My Business Or Organization?
Implementing an environmental management system will help you assess the overall context of your organization to define who is affected by your work and what they expect from you. This will enable you to clearly state your EMS objectives and use ISO 14001 EMS as a leverage to enhance over business.
- Put your stakeholders first, making sure you consistently meet their needs including compliance obligations. This can lead to more repeat customers, new clients, and increased business for your organization.
- Work in a more efficient way as all your processes will be aligned and understood by everyone in the business or organization. This increases productivity and efficiency, bringing internal costs down.
- Meet the necessary environmental statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Expand into new markets, as some sectors and clients require ISO 14001 before doing business.
- Identify and address the risks associated with your organization.
Frequently Asked Questions
Check out the answers to most asked questions.
ISO 14001 is the international standard that specifies requirements for an effective environmental management system (EMS). It provides a framework that an organization can follow, rather than establishing environmental performance requirements.
The Organization to be certified, the ISO 14001:2015 Consultant, if retained & the External Registrar.
ISO 14001:2015 EMS consultant can assist organizations in several ways:
- EMS certification project from beginning/scratch until achieving certification certificate including EMS documentation development, EMS training, EMS implementation, EMS effectiveness evaluation, assistance in stage 1 and stage 2 externa registrar audit and any follow-ups.
- EMS on demand specific development topic, implementation assistance or partial continual improvement.
- EMS fractional contract consulting (on a contract basis) such as: EMS Senior Management assistance-strategic plan, organizational risk assessment, EMS; Audit planning, conducting and reporting; Non-conformance resolution and corrective action implementation; Overall EMS oversight for continual improvement.
- On demand audit management for internal audits, supplier audits, customer audits, products audits, project audits, external registrar audits, process audits and system audit.
Mostly yes because of the following:
- Comprehensive knowledge of the ISO 14001:2015 Standard requirements due to their core work.
- knowledge of pitfalls during documentation development and ISO 14001:2015 QMS implementation.
- Trainer expertise in terms of ISO 14001:2015 Standard.
- Better exposure to and interaction with Registrar auditor during certification audits.
- Correction of gaps during audits at the last minute.
The value-adding ISO 14001:2015 EMS will be based upon the following framework:
- Identification of processes at functional levels and application of process approach using a PDCA cycle.
- Establishing a practical and effective risk assessment model and its application at organizational and functional levels.
Aligning the EMS, its objectives/KPIs with the strategic plan/objectives/targets of the organization.
The ISO 14001:2015 consultant can speed up the registration process by:
- Rationally challenging the external registrar auditor on unjustified/unsupported findings raised by that registrar.
- Resolving minor findings or issues during the external registrar audit.
- Assist in developing corrective actions in response to findings so that external registrar accepts these the first time.
An effectively implemented EMS can reduce the cost of doing business by:
- Eliminating mitigation cost of environmental impacts.
- Reduced liability cost due to improved due-diligence.
- Improving productivity and efficiency cost due to elimination of environmental interruptions.
For more information contact Jack Sekhon and Associates.
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, adopted by all United Nations Member States in 2015, provides a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future. At its heart are the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which are an urgent call for action by all countries – developed and developing – in a global partnership. They recognize that ending poverty and other deprivations must go hand-in-hand with strategies that improve health and education, reduce inequality, and spur economic growth – all while tackling climate change and working to preserve our oceans and forests.
Eight out 17 UN SDGs directly link to the focus of ISO 14001, such as those related to clean water and sanitation; affordable and clean energy; decent work and economic growth; industry, innovation and infrastructure; responsible consumption and production; climate action; life below water; and life on land.
ISO 14031-Environmental management – Environmental performance evaluation.
Examples of characteristics of data for indicators for EPE:
- Direct measures or calculations: basic data or information, such as tonnes of contaminant emitted.
- Relative measures or calculations: data or information compared to or in relation to another parameter (e.g. production level, time, location or background condition), such as tonnes of contaminant emitted per tonne of product manufactured, or tonnes of contaminant emitted per unit of sales turnover.
- Indexed describing data or information converted to units or to a form which relates the information to a chosen standard or baseline, such as contaminant emissions in the current year expressed as a percentage of those emissions in a baseline year.
- Aggregated describing data or information of the same type, but from different sources, collected and expressed as a combined value, such as total tonnes of a given contaminant emitted from production of a product in a given year, determined by summing emissions from multiple facilities producing that product.
- Weighted describing data or information modified by applying a factor related to its significance.
- Management Performance Indicator MPI
- Operational Performance Indicator OPI